11 Steps to Leadership
- Handling the leadership within you. Every person has an element of leadership; everybody has made some decisions and choices. Everybody has sometime given guidance or showed directions. So there is a leadership within you. Handling this leadership inside of you is an essential skill; you experience the surge to take action. It is important to know that what is in operation. There is an operative drive that makes you to do things. Within you it is the intellect, memory, the mind or even the ego. They may appear in overlap or interlaced the leadership skill may require you to severe the hazy and blunt edges of these four faculties. The leader can have the sharp distinction between the intellect and each of the other faculties.
- Dealing with leadership in another person. You may perceive it as stubbornness in the young people; you may make claims that the young generation is adamant. Maybe these signs are really attributes of the ability to take a stand of a rigid position. Maybe these are indicators of some leadership in the other people. How do you recognize the leadership in the other person? Learning to deal with a hostile opposition is an essential need to become a good leader. Some people may show dissent, resistance to you views but then isn’t that their leadership? Have you learnt to deal with your adversities you must learn the quality by which you can convert your adversaries into your friends.
- Give freedom to another person to give you some instructions. Are you equipped to accept directions from another person? Are you agreeable to go by taste of another person? Are you willing to take permissions? Allow the other person to be of guidance to you. Where things are not limited to explorations and risk, you can concede and be a follower. Allow the subordinate to take charge of your day.
- Become an expert in the method of the contract. Calibrate, measure, calculate, define, precise, articulate and label of things and sentiments are all skills that you must procure. Persuasions and negotiations are essential part of good communication.
- Identify if in case you have become captured into vanity. Be cautious that you do not become a victim of false pride. The key word here is empathy, empathize with people who have handicaps and are weak. Learn to equate with people with weaknesses and then resolve their pains. Poor and backward people also deserve your respect. A good leader will give dignity to all the people; don’t use your successes to overwhelm your subordinates. Your wisdom should not be of intimidation to the less literate.
- Innovation is an essential need in the leader. To be innovative you need flexibility in your mind. Flexibility can come by cross-occupational exertion. This means that even if you are a professional musician, yet you can acquire the skills of washing a car. You may be a software professional but you could spend a weekend cooking food and washing dishes in a public institution. Even if you are a physician you could still tailor a shirt or a trouser on a weekend. These are examples of cross occupational exertion. They may challenge you status quo, they may bring discomfort to your routine but then leader ship is about stretching you capacities.
- You have to establish on this reality that this world is full of diversities and varieties. Many times you have to face the challenge of being pitted with people who has other interests, expertise and loyalties the behavior of other people may not match to that of your liking. Everybody comes with their own baggage of conditions, dos and don’ts. It’s imperative that you develop capabilities to be inclusive of as many cultures and lifestyles in other people.
- Losses, pain, failures and even illnesses are integral part of daily living. A leader should know how to accommodate these painful times in his stride. These are there to give emotional depth and reasoning abilities that are much needed in a good leader.
- One of the mightiest learnings is that there are some things that just will not ever change. The mature people are the ones who know to recognize these non-changing situations and events in their environment. How to make a solution when some conflicts just cannot ever be resolved? The leadership becomes evident when you can honestly, sincerely, joyfully, enthusiastically move forward, leaving behind those things that are unchanging and regressive. Haven’t you heard of the phrase “calling it quits”? Not all quitting amounts to failure. Sometimes walking out of a futile confrontation may just be the intelligent move that you can make.
- Not all information may become available to you by words. The right leader must work to learn to make accurate inferences. The circumstances around you are all communicating. It is important to identify the elements that are around you. The talent is to deduce the message and the story by studying the non-verbal and other indicators. Everything around you is indicative of narrative. Are you adequately sensitized that you can study the natural discourse?
- Can you trust other people? Give some effort to train others. Contribute so as to enable and enrich others. Give away some of your power to the other people that you work with. Having done this shows them that you trust them. When these qualities come together, then only you can call it delegation. Become the supervisor but yet be sure to delegate. You are then a source of assurance to many other people.
About the Author:
Mr. Vinod Kumar is popular columnist from India who provides amazing insights and perspectives on diverse topics. He is a good writer, motivator, trainer, consultant and a mentor to many. His interests span media, politics, sports, food, travel, leisure, and study of the mind. His articles are provided exclusively on finomenon.org